Friday, August 22, 2008

Maanin! (Morning)

My life in Jamaica is much different than the one I had back in the states. For instance, in the states, I had the luxury of affording mouthwash to soak my retainers in during the day. I love the feel of fresh retainers at night...ahhh. Now, I cannot even afford mouthwash. In the states, I wear seatbelts when I am in a vehicle. In Jamaica, I get laughed at. That is, when seatbelts even exist. In the states I can take a walk around Portland with my iPOD roaring, here, I don't take it out of my flat. It has been an interesting adjustment to this new life I have. Some days, I love that everything is different. It is challenging and new and exciting. It makes me feel like I am learning about the world everyday when I am taken out of my comfort zone. I guess you could say I now live out of my comfort zone. On the other hand, sometimes I get so exhausted from all the different I just want to be on Ainsworth walking to the dog park and not looking over my shoulder. I want to walk to Safeway and not get harassed and/or grabbed at.

This all being said, today I am feeling a little tired. I have been ill and I will be walking a mile or so in the sun to work and it feels like a lot of work. When I get a bike, it will be very good. The sun on my back will not be nearly has exhausting if I have a breeze. I feel excited to go to work. The people I work with are VERY cool. I learn a lot everyday which I love.

I have been in Jamaica almost two months and haven't posted much. This is because I have been going back and forth about whether or not I want to have a blog. If I have one, I want it to be public, but I am worried I might say something that will get me into trouble...or I might say something without thinking and it will be insensitive or something. I don't want to offend, but censoring myself is not one of my strong suits. I have been apprehensive to write, but I have decided that is bogus. I have so many stories and experiences and thoughts I want to share! You should be able to know that I got stung in the vagina by jellyfish and that I thought I had worms. These are experiences you can only laugh at if you share.

At the same time, you might want to know the darker side of my new life. Like the police/gang shoot up outside of my place, or the fact that I was asked if I wanted to be raped (which freaked me out). Life here is different and it is amazing and rough and beautiful and scary all at the same time. Sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode and make a huge mess.

Anyways...mi av a go fi wok nuh. (I have to go to work now)

Love......me

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Tami!

I just want to tell you I like hearing your stories, getting to understand your take on a different place. Plus, you're damn funny. And smart. And funny.

Keep writing... I won't hold anything you say against our government. Or the PC. Mostly.

Hi.