Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm back on the rock!


On our way to hiking in the Gorge

I haven't posted for a while. First, I have been in an emotional lull just trying to sort out why I am here, what I am going to accomplish, losing hope in the Jamaican way of life, etc...blah blah blah. Then, I went to Oregon for an amazing 12 day trip that I am still recovering from. Then, I got back and am getting into the swing of things.

I have recently been told that my blog is like an emotional roller-coaster. When you read them in a row they are up and down and up and down. When I was told this I thought about it for a second and was like, 'Yup, pretty much." That is what it is like here though. I am not just waking up and going to work and going home. It is more complicated because not only am I in a place that is totally foreign, but I am dealing with a lot of new world views, perspectives, work ethic, cultural behaviors-thoughts-attitudes, etc. Sometimes I feel like I am on top of the world and am on the right track and sometimes I don't know what the hell I am doing. Well, most of the time I don't know what the hell I am doing, but that is part of the trip. Learning to process all this and deal with the emotional strife is part of the experience and I am growing a ton. I think that if my emotional growth could be measured by my height, I would be at least a foot taller! So there. Yes, I am a basketcase here, but a basketcase on an amazing adventure that this blog cannot begin to describe.

Plus, I could easily write everyday a little note about how I am doing and what I did, but I am sure that would get old pretty fast. I usually wait until I have a little meat and then spill...which usually results in a hugely long blog that I can't even read in its entirety. So, I am going to try to keep it short and sweet, but more often. We will see how it goes.

My trip to Oregon was both wonderful and full of reflection and hard truths. It only took about ten minutes from the time I walked off the plane to when I was driving on the freeway past the strip mall of Ikea, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc that I felt good about being in Jamaica. When I left I was really stressed out and worried that I would go and not want to come back. I am glad that didn't happen. I worry for us Americans and how we live and I really did feel a little discust seeing so many huge stores, parking lots, and cars. Overall, going home, I feel very blessed. I got to catch up and spend time with a lot of people that mean the world to me. Some of them have helped shape me into who I am today and others play a part in who I will be tomorrow. I got to drink some of my favorite beers. I got to go hiking in the gorge. I got to play with animals on the farm. I got to smile and laugh and rest and nap by the woodstove, maybe my favorite place on earth.

Farm in Amity, Oregon. My home.

Oh, and I got attacked by a Bunny. Yes, a bunny. My friend Kyle was so excited for me to meet his pet bunny. His potty trained, jump in your lap and kiss you friendly bunny. Well, I liked this bunny up until it jumped up, grunted/growled, and bit me mid-calf. The damn thing broke the skin! Who knew! It was hilarious. I never thought I would be attacked by a bunny. I have now been bitten by dogs, cats, horses, goats, pigs, rheas (prehistoric bird like an ostrich), big talking birds, and a bunny! I feel like I am leaving something out. I guess I get bit by people on occasion as well...


Bunny I hate you. ( But you are cute)

A few days before I left for the states, my friend Grace told me she was leaving Jamaica to go bac to Michigan. Although it saddens me that she is not on island, she made the right choice, and I would have done the same. I miss you Grace.

Now I am back and have sooo much to do. I feel like I have recharged my batteries and am ready to face Jamaica with a new found mind-set. I was letting myself get really stressed out to the point of being physically sick all the time and I refuse to do that. I can only do what I can do! As much as I'd like to, I can't save the world. And in two years, there is not much I can do except for make small triumphs and hope that I can make a positive impact that will last beyond my departure.

It is Monday night, I got back on Saturday afternoon. My dad is coming to visit on Wednesday! He is staying for a month. I found him a place to stay...next door so he will have his own place and I will have mine. So far, we are going to go to Port Antonio for a wedding, and into Kingston for some Dr. appts I have. Hopefully while we are there we can do the Blue Mountain Hike. There is so much I want to do with him and know I can't that it is nearly heartbreaking. I will just have to save what we miss for next trip. There is going to be lots of scrabble, dinners, sunsets on the beach, and snorkeling. Plenty in Negril to keep us busy and two weekend we will be gone.

I don't think I have anything else to report really except for that I am back on island and ready for what lies ahead. Hopefully the next blog will look much the same.

No comments: