Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another day on the rock...

Negril is soon to RECYCLE!



I am sitting here eating whole wheat/festival mix/bran pancakes and sipping on my breakfast tea while listening to Derby on my awesomely loud speakers and typing this post online. I wonder if sometimes the reason I am going crazy is that this is all a tease of the life I used to live. Maybe if I didn't have all these amenities, I wouldn't feel so deprived of others! On the other hand, I have been contemplating cable...hmm....

It has taken a while, but we finally have some bins for our recycling project. Now we just need transportation to move them, and then regular transportation to pick up the plastics. Knowing Jamaica (and I am being realistic, not pessimistic) it will likely take another month to get it sorted out and moving.

I also have stopped by a couple of schools and one of them I hadn't been to for like 6 months and a bunch of the kids remembered me! It made me so excited. I am going to Whitehall Basic and Prep on Friday to give a presentation on recycling and trash. There is garbage everywhere. You can't escape it. Most of it is hidden from the tourists, but there will be big piles and entire fields of trash right off the main road that community members live in and next to. It makes me so sad that people have to live in filth. It is partly because they don't have any other option, but also, they put it there. They need education, and they need alternatives. Tada! Recycling!

I have been getting lazy with my dishes lately. I just had a battle with some cockroaches and won. Lesson learned. There were so many! I felt like a warrior. Fight to the death! I used a butter knife, cancer causing fumigation, a coffee cup, and my tampax (read into it what you will). In the end, I killed almost ten. Well, like 6 the first night and then there was a bunch more that died in the night from my spray. But whatever. They are dead and I killed them. I don't like killing things. I really don't. An ant is just being an ant. A fly just a fly. A roach just a roach. The problem with the last sentence, is that a roach will make 1,000,000 babies! I don't care if there is a roach outside, if I see one, I kill one. It is called roach prevention.


I have to take my HOT shower, do my dishes (roach prevention) and go to work.

No comments: