Monday, November 3, 2008

Do these Jamaican's make me look fat?

Here is a cultural lesson for you.

America: Wow, Tami, you are getting fat.
Me: You are an asshole.

Jamaica: You are looking fatter than you were.
Me: Thanks, that is so nice of you to say. (Although in my head it doesn't go that way.)

In the states, you tell people that they have lost weight to compliment them. In America you want to be thin. Thin is healthy. Thin is not healthy in Jamaica. Fat is healthy. If you are skinny they call you 'magga.' Which is not complimentary.

So yes, I lost a ton of weight being sick, and yes I have been eating A LOT to catch up, but seriously, is that sooooo noticeable that 2 different people commented on it today? I still look great so I am not freaking out, but instead reveling at the cultural experience I had today. One of my co-workers said they could tell I was happy here because "You have been putting on some weight." And of course I though they said, "I can tell you are pulling your weight." So I was like, "Oh thanks, I have been working really hard." To which he replied, "No, I said you are gaining weight! You must be getting healthier." Ok, I know this is a compliment so it is fine but very shocking. Just like being told I am going to have my throat slit because someone hates white people is a little shocking to hear (yes this happened, reverse racism is an interesting thing). So tonight I was offered a free ride halfway home from someone I know from the neighborhood and that left me to walk the rest of the way. In retrospect it wasn't a good idea because I had two arms full of groceries and the back way made me walk up and down 2 significant hills, plus on the way I got my fat comment number two. Walking down my second hill and about 1/8 mile from my house there is this one area on the side of the road that these 4 nice ladies always sit and talk to passersby. I haven't seen them in awhile because I have been riding my sweet new bicycle to work so I stopped to say hello. The first thing my favorite lady says is, "Oh Tami! You are getting fat!" Come on people! This time I said something jokingly like how that is the second time someone today has told me I am getting fat. She tells me that it is the good fat and not the too fat. Also that I look good and strong and healthy. So these are compliments, but because I am accostomed to it being rude, it is an interesting transition to hear and not be like 'excuse me'! Anyways ...thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

No comments: