Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pool, rastas playing pool and smoking ganka, and me watching the presedential debate. Sweet.

Hello! Things I want to share with you:

First, integration can be really difficult. My patience is not always there and guys especially are hard to deal with. There is a bar/car wash (I know, right) across the street from my house and I was at a loss for where to watch the debate tonight. I decided to go there alone, and at night. Two things I haven't done yet. I texted two people to tell them what I was up to as to not be totally irresponsible. I got there and I was the only girl amidst about ten men. I asked if I could watch the debate and realized I had no money to buy anything. I have talked to the owner a few times so he knew me. I called him over and told him that I knew it was totally rude to come and not buy anything but that I didn't feel safe walking to the ATM this late by myself. This is not a big fancy bar. It is a Jamaican rum bar, much like a dive bar in the states. Think Billy Rays, but open air and not as hipster. He was so nice and took my hand and said that he would like to buy me a beer and not to worry. Although this made me nervous, worried about expectations later, I still accepted as I thought he would be offended if I didn't.

So there I am, the only white person, only woman there, and the guys were just sitting around chatting, smoking ganja, playing pool, and dominoes and not one person came up and harrassed me. It was AMAZING AND UNPRECEDENTED. Yay. There is this one rasta I have talked to a few times. We yelled at the TV together it was great. It is the little things that make me so happy here. It rarely even has to do with my job. Just getting to know people is so great.

I said first, but it was also last. I am tired. And hungry. Probably not going to eat though. Three cups of tea and my elastic band here I come.

Yay me.

I had a very frustrating day at work and this was an incredible way to end it.

Ok, I am really done now.

No comments: