Monday, October 20, 2008

Small bugs, big bites, milkshakes, snorkeling, and Snoop Dog.

Bugs here suck. I have cockroaches, lizards (they can be considered a bug in this instance), two kinds of ants, and mosquitoes in my place. I can't seem to get rid of them. The only ones that hurt are the mosquitoes and black ants. The mosquitoes itch which is annoying, but the black ants are on my bed, chair, and floor. They sting...really sting! And they bite me all the time. I just got bit on my toe five minutes ago and before the sting disappeared, I got another one of my lower back. Must have gotten on me when I was sitting in the chair. Son of a bitch.

It is the end of a long long long and very awesome weekend. I am ready to go back to work, and not. It is pretty stressful and overwhelming for the little that I am doing right now. Exhaustion is exhaustion and I think it is the mix of mental exhaustion from culture (namely men wanting to 'know me better' and honking taxis), mixed with heat and physical exhaustion, and then being expected to perform at 100%. Oh, and the fact that my supervisor (who is awesome) thinks of new projects before we can get previous ones started so nothing seems to ever get done. This attitude/irritation might also be my Americanized expectation of how things are done so I am trying to stay strong, but seriously...grrr + smiley face= TIJ. (TIJ=This is Jamaica...common phrase when you have no explaination for life here.)


Ok, some recent obsessions:
Milkshakes. Mostly vanilla because the chocolate is broken at Burger King. Not that I can afford them. This has been happening on the weekends. I managed one large chocolate two weekends ago, and two medium vanillas this weekend. I currently have no money so no more milkshakes. It is mostly a treat for surviving the week. I think this is the first week I have gone without a cake of some kind. Maybe this is the replacement?

Next, snorkeling is my new favorite thing. I found the coolest new place to cliff jump and snorkel for free! Well, it is a taxi ride away, but super cool, and free if I can ride my bike up there. I have seen so many awesome things. I am not even afraid of the giant jellyfish anymore now that I know how to evade them. Plus, I have gotten stung 3 times now and survived. I think I am going to invest in a snorkel set. I am worried about the $$ but it is soooooo cool and amazing. I have seen rays, and fish, and coral, and urchins. Way cool.




This weekend, I was blessed with the presence of my bffj4e Grace, who in a tired stupor last night, graced me (pun intended) with her improve Snoop Dog jokes. I told her my fav Oregon inspired joke. It goes as follows ( I think I even heard this from my bff-DC Cecilia so props to her!):

Q: Why does Snoop Dog carry an umbrella?
A: Fo drizzle!

The following are courtesy of Gracie Heart's comic genius:

Q: Why does Snoop Dog like alka-seltzer?
A: Fo fizzle!

Q: Why does Snoop Dog admire Mount Rushmore:
A: Fo chizzle!

Q: Why does Snoop Dog eat at LTU?
A: Fo schnitzel! (Not going to get it unless you have eaten the schnitzel at LTU sadly...)

AND FOR THE FINALE!!!

Q: Why does Snoop Dog hang out with Kim Jong Il?
A: Fo mizzles!!!

No comments: